Wednesday, December 13, 2006
Arkansas Adventure
Caleb, Sawyer and I had a great adventure last week. The three of us flew to Arkansas to see the Beaudoins. There were a few bumps in the path, but all in all it was a fun trip. For starters, on the way there, the airlines had a bit of fun with us. Our connection was delayed because there wasn't an aircraft for us. so our one hour lay over was then to be a four hour lay over... but I was to check the monitor every half hour or so incase another plane became available. I checked the monitor faithfully on the half's. So, the tv said 6PM at 3:00, and 6:10 at 3:30 and so I took the kids to another concourse where there was a small play area. About a quarter to a half mile away. can you see where this is going? we're there playing and at 4 I check the monitor and it says 6:14. play. play. play. I check the screen at 4:30 and it says departure at 4:35. No Joke. My stomach spun and I freaked. I Threw Sawyer into the frontpack carrier, put caleb into the stroller and ran. Did I mention that I also had a carseat strapped to my back and three carry on bags. Ok, stop laughing for a minute and feel bad. I looked like a pack mule that had just been stung in the butt. I hauled it to the gate, sweat pouring down, tears in my eyes to find they were waiting for the passengers. That is a prayer answered. I did not want to get stuck in Detroit with the two little ones by my self.
Once we got to Arkansas it was great to see everyone. Olivia has just turned 5 and has some newly pierced ears. Drew has just turned 3 a couple months back and is so grown up, using the potty and getting dressed by himself. Isaac turned 1 at the end of August and is walking like a pro. He has totally thinned out. And the newest addition to the family is due in February, Eloise. She's dancing the Salsa, or so it appears through Shelley's belly.
Unfortunately, Caleb had a tough week. He was really out of his element. I think with the combination of being out of his routine and all the action, his head was spun around. He had a major lesson in sharing and how to behave when you aren't the center of the universe. It was a struggle for all of us, but I think we all survived and were doing better by the end of the week. Sawyer did great. He just loved all the commotion. As long as he's fed and napped, he can sit for hours and watch the kids run circles around him. He has two teeth now and can sit up on his own. He is still doing a pseudo crawl where he drags his body, but he gets around. He is pulling himself up to standing, especially in his crib and I'm sure he'll be off and running in no time.
Our trip home was delayed by one day with more airline drama, but there was an upside to it. Our connection was through Minneapolis and we had the honor of meeting Dick and Rick Hoyt (Team Hoyt http://www.teamhoyt.com/) and Dick's friend Kathy. This is a father son team from Massachusetts who run marathons and triathlons all over the country and world. They are an amazing pair. check this out to see just why. http://cjcphoto.com/can I have seen them in our Boston Marathon several times and seen them featured on the local news all the way to Oprah. I felt blessed to meet them. I was able to chat with Dick in the airport and they sat only two rows up on the plane. They too were seranaded by Caleb's raspberry concert. When we got to Hartford they were kind enough to carry our carseat for me. I could have met a rock star and wouldn't have felt as blessed. They really make you stop and appreciate your health and the health of your children.
So, that was Arkansas. The good, bad and ugly. On to Christmas.

No comments:
Post a Comment